NEW YORK POST:
A scheme to pay women to make “false claims” of sexual assault against special counsel Robert Mueller has been forwarded to the FBI for investigation, Mueller’s office said Tuesday.
“When we learned last week of allegations that women were offered money to make false claims about the Special Counsel, we immediately referred the matter to the FBI for investigation,” the special counsel’s spokesman Peter Carr said in a statement.
Mueller’s office confirmed that the plot was brought to their attention by a number of journalists who said a woman told them she was offered $20,000 by GOP activist and noted conspiracy theorist Jack Burkman “to make accusations of sexual misconduct and workplace harassment against Robert Mueller,” The Atlantic first reported.
The woman told the reporters that she had worked for Mueller as a paralegal at the Pillsbury, Madison and Sutro law firm in 1974.
Burkman posted on Twitter that he would reveal a sexual assault victim of Mueller’s on Thursday.
“Some sad news. On Thursday, November 1, at the Rosslyn Holiday Inn at noon, we will reveal the first of Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s sex assault victims,” he wrote in the posting. “I applaud the courage and dignity and grace and strength of my client.”
The woman, who wasn’t publicly identified, sent the reporters emails claiming Burkman “offered to pay off all of my credit card debt, plus bring me a check for $20,000 if I would do one thing.”
“In more of an effort to get him to go away than anything else, I asked him what in the hell he wanted me to do. He said that we could not talk about it on the phone, and he asked me to download an app on my phone called Signal, which he said was more secure,” she said in one of the emails obtained by The Atlantic.