Samples of the products contained “very high levels” of aflatoxin, the FDA said.
Three brands of Sportmix products for dogs and cats made by Midwestern Pet Foods may contain potentially fatal levels of the toxin aflatoxin, according to the FDA.
The FDA said it is aware of at least 28 deaths and eight illnesses in dogs that ate the recalled pet food.
The Missouri Department of Agriculture tested multiple samples of the food and found “very high levels” of aflatoxin, which is produced by a mold that can grow on corn and other grains used in pet food, the FDA said.
Midwestern Pet Foods has committed to recalling nine lots of Sportmix products, the FDA said. The FDA and Missouri Department of Agriculture are working to determine if any others need to be recalled.
The lot code, which begins with the letters “Exp,” is located on the back of the bag.