THE WASHINGTON TIMES – CARLO MUNOZ
The Pentagon confirmed Monday the first transgender recruit has signed up for military service, despite the White House calling for a ban against such personnel from serving in the armed forces.
The recruit signed a service contract on Friday after meeting a battery of physical, psychological and medical requirements for enlistment, Pentagon spokesman Army Maj. David Eastburn told The Washington Times.
Meanwhile, the White House is expected to release its official policy on transgender troops on March 23, a deadline set by President Trump a memorandum calling for a ban late last year.
Defense Department spokesman Army Col. Rob Manning told reporters Monday that Defense Secretary James Mattis’ recommendations on whether to allow transgender troops to serve was under review at the White House.