Child playing with stove likely caused deadliest NYC fire in 25 years

NEW YORK POST – YARON STEINBUCH

The city’s deadliest inferno in more than a quarter-century was likely sparked by a young child playing with a stove in a first-floor unit, Mayor Bill de Blasio said Friday.

“What we think at this point is unfortunately it emanated from an accident — a young child playing with a stove on the first floor,” de Blasio said on WNYC Radio

“It spread rapidly upward … accidental from everything we can see,” the mayor said.

The fast-moving five-alarm Bronx blaze, which killed 12, including children, quickly spread to the top floor of the Prospect Avenue building in the Belmont section of the borough Thursday night.

Read more at the NY Post

Advertisements